Animal Control

The Arvin Police Department began providingPoodle Mix dog sitting on railroad tracks animal control services to the City of Arvin in 1961. The Arvin Police Department Animal Control Officer enforces the laws and regulations related to animals and their owners, in order to promote the humane treatment of animals and keep the citizens safe from dangerous or hazardous animals.

Animal Control Officer Duties

The Animal Control Officer responds to, and investigates, the public's complaints related to animals (i.e. dogs running at large, barking dogs, animal cruelty etc.) and may provide testimony in court proceedings. Additionally, the animal Control Officer works to educate the public in the areas of animal welfare, animal safety, and animal laws/regulations.

Animal Bite Complaints

The Animal Control Officer also responds to and investigates all animal bite complaints. Most animal bite incidents require some type of isolation. Animals that are unlicensed or lack their appropriate vaccinations are isolated at the Kern County Animal Shelter for 10 days. If the biting animal is licensed and properly vaccinated home isolation is possible if no other pets reside on the premises. Home isolations are for a period of 10 days and the animal control officer will check on the animal at least one time during the isolation period. If the animal has bitten on a prior occasion, home isolations are not allowable.

Animal ShelterLost Dog Sign Reward

The Arvin Police Department Animal Control Officer takes all animals to the Kern County Animal Shelter. If you have lost your pet, you may contact the Arvin Animal Control Officer at 661-854-5583, contact the Kern County Animal Shelter at 661-868-7100, or visit them at:
3951 Fruitvale Avenue
Bakersfield, CA 93308

Dog Licensing

Dog licenses can be purchased at the City Clerk's Office located at Arvin City Hall, 200 Campus Drive. Call 661-854-3134 for more information.